Monday, July 10, 2006

There and back again

There's nothing quite like a ten-day road trip to make one appreciate the quiet domesticity of home! John and I returned to Denver late Saturday evening, after 14 hours on the road from Boise. Gabby the Dog-sitter and Jericho the Dog greeted us warmly, though we were both too bleary-eyed from driving to be very good company.

Our travels began ten days earlier with an overnight stay at the Strawberry Park Hot Springs in Steamboat Springs, CO (see my previous post). These hot springs are gorgeous and inviting; a highly recommended getaway only three hours drive from Denver! From Steamboat we traveled through rural Colorado and Utah to Salt Lake City, where we stayed at the Hotel Monaco. Our favorite convenience stores along this drive had names like "Kum & Go" and "Loaf 'N Jug", which kept the two of us giggling well into Utah.

The best reason to visit Salt Lake City, as it turns out, is the incredible Sam Weller's Zion Bookstore. While I certainly loves me some Tattered Cover, Sam Weller kicks TC's literary ass. I could have browsed used books all day, but John had us on a tight schedule. We only had a few hours to make the drive to Jerome, ID, and the evening Vespers service at the Monastery of the Ascension.

From Jerome we traveled through the Ketchum/Sun Valley resort town (where we had a delicious breakfast at The Kneadery) to Stanley, where we stayed the next several days with John's family. We passed the time reading by the Salmon River, visiting with family, swimming (in John's case) in Stanley Lake, attending the local 4th of July Parade, and playing cards. John's extended family has an obsession with Liverpool Rummy, an extremely addictive pastime of which I am the newest convert.

Our trip concluded with several days in John's hometown of Boise, ID. John and I stayed with his parents in their beautiful home, which John's father designed fifty years ago. Until moving to Denver in 2004, John had spent his entire life and career in Boise, so it really shouldn't have surprised me that John was approached by friends and admirers nearly everywhere we went. This was particularly evident at the Flying M Coffee House, John's favorite place for strong coffee, funky art, and WiFi access. Boise is truly a beautiful town -- I look forward to my next visit!

Click here to see the "best of" photos from our Road Trip 2006.

2 comments:

Bill said...

God, I'd love a road trip right about now. It's too darn hot here in New York! To quote Joni, "I got the urge for going, but I don't know where to go."

And no, I don't need to use the little boy's room.

Love the pics, looks like a fun time was had by all. :)

Jericho said...

Come to Denver, billyboy! You are always welcome to stay with me, John, & Jericho the Dog. We would love to have you visit!

Glad you liked the pics -- John & I both had a great time. It was a little unnerving, being completed immersed in John's extended family and friends, somewhat "on approval" to boot -- though I think they all ended up approving.

Your last Frances Gumm podcast was hilarious! Judy is still my favorite (which is only right and proper, as it's her show) but Gollum runs a close second. ESPECIALLY Gollum playing Sofia from The Golden Girls. Priceless!