Thursday, May 10, 2007

Car-Free, Day 1

It is with a heavy heart that I write of the passing of Beatrice, a Great Lady and a Reliable Automobile. Beatrice was, as you may have previously read, my Subaru station wagon and primary transportation for the past 12 years. She was well over the 200,000 mile mark. It was her Time.

Wednesday was my first day living car-free. I am already accustomed to traveling on Denver's public transit, but have always considered it an inconvenient alternative to simply driving my way around town. I managed to get to work in the morning, lunch at Chipotle, shop at Tattered Cover, and finally a jaunt to the Denver Public Library Central Branch (where I checked out this book) — all via bus, light rail, and 16th St. shuttle. Having my school RTD pass was a godsend!

I can't honestly say how long this lifestyle will last. I hope to spend most of June in Portland with John, so the soonest I might look into finding a new car will be July. If I'm feeling REALLY confident getting around Denver on my own reconnaissance by then, maybe I'll decide to remain car-free until I move to Portland full-time next year.

2 comments:

Alexa Doebele said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. R.I.P. Beatrice! We'll have to sing a special Requiem mass - are there any written for cars? :-)

Jericho said...

Didn't Haydn write a "Little Subaru Mass"?